Monday, July 13, 2009

Peds Appointment

I learned a valuable lesson today at the pediatrician's office. We had to go for a weight check on Mackenzie to make sure she is putting on weight and being adequately breastfed. While we were in the waiting room, she managed to both spit up on herself and have an explosive poop that went all over her outfit. After we cleaned her up and got weighed (5 lbs 6 oz) she sneezed and lost a big booger. Anyway, we waited a bit and the doctor came in. We saw a resident who will remain nameless since he is from MUSC. He came in, introduced himself and immediately recognized me. I couldn't remember if I was nice to him or not during his month in 1-West so I didn't want to initiate the whole "do I know you?" thing. He did ask and learned that I worked in the ER blah blah. He asked us all of the questions and then examined Mackenzie. He complimented us on how beautiful she is and I had to open my big mouth and say "Yes she is". Meanwhile my husband laughed and thanked him. Twice now I was rude. I didn't mean to be. I, oddly enough, get uncomfortable being the patient---especially in Peds world which I know nothing about. Of course, when the attending came in to say hello and complimented us I had the normal human response and said "thanks". All day long Josh has been picking on me for this.

I now get the feeling that I probably was not nice to him during his month with us and probably need to be more careful of that especially since now my baby could end up in the middle of it. I have no reason from a patient's perspective to believe that he is in anyway a bad doctor or anything. We see the same attending next week, maybe he'll be there again and I'll be able to redeem myself. Be nice to the off-service residents, you never know who could be taking care of your baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment